Sunday, April 26, 2015

Day 7: Stitches Removed

Went to my surgeon's office for my first post-op visit.  He removed the bandage and wrap (which felt wonderful!) and then removed the stitches.  My whole forearm is swollen from the upper elbow down.

I was told:

1. Keep the arm in the sling for two more weeks.
2. My incision can get wet in the shower but avoid the direct spray of water.
3. Absolutely no baths or hot tubs.
4. Stretch and flex my fingers regularly.
5. Occasionally flex my arm gently but still do not straighten.  He demonstrated the range of motion I should be doing.

I am having difficulty sleeping because I usually sleep on my side.  I have found the best way to get comfortable is to sleep without the sling.  I grasp a small throw pillow gently, keeping my arm in the same position.  The sling kept my arm pressed against my body which was uncomfortable for me.  So doing this alleviated that a bit.

5 comments:

  1. I'm finding the differences in practices so interesting! I removed my bandages and sling at 72 hours. My stitches were removed at 2 weeks. No instructions about direct spray, baths, finger flexing, or arm straightening. In fact, they measured range of motion and had me straighten it as far as I could. I'm thinking he didn't have to cut into a muscle for me like yours had to be done. I'm fat. It seems like i remember him saying something about plenty of existing tissue. Who knows?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Got the bandages off - the doctor left the stitches in for another week. Don’t know why??? Maybe my age had something to do with it (I’m 63). Anyway he also fitted me with a elbow splint that I have to wear give more weeks. I’m a little upset because I’m my arm is pretty useless with this splint on. Apparently I have s doctor who believes in six week splint time. This should be intersting and I should learn how to me one armed very efficiently. I don’t know I think I really had a choice in the surgery but the down time at my age is tough. Hope I can freely move my arm soon.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Day 6 - have stopped taking the hydrocodene after 3 days, now only Advil. I do get sharp pain in the bend of the elbow occasionally.My fingers are still tight and swollen. I had my husband loosen mt ace bandages. Felt a bit better, but they are still swollen. How long did you have swelling in your fingers? Will call Doctor tomorrow. My other arm is aching more than ever. I need the same surgery as soon as I've recovered from this one. UGH....thanks again for this blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I honestly don't remember swelling in my fingers specifically. It has been a while. But I do remember swelling in general for quite some time.

    You are on the mend already!

    ReplyDelete

Questions? I am not a doctor but this is my second time having ulnar nerve transposition surgery. I am happy to answer any questions you may have based on my experiences.