Thursday, May 7, 2015

3 Weeks Post-Op

Returned to the doctor for my three week post-op check up.  I was told I no longer needed the sling.  I now could just wear it "for comfort" as needed or as a mental reminder that I should take it easy.  I cannot put into words how good it feels to let my arm down!  Such relief after being in a sling for so long.

I am currently unable to straighten my arm due to tightness.  I have to slowly work on that.  I go back to the doctor in another 3 weeks.  If at that time I am not able to straighten my arm completely, I was told I would have to have physical therapy.  I didn't need it on my other elbow, so I am assuming I will not need it on this elbow either.

The surprise was when my doctor told me I'd have to wear a wrist splint for 3 weeks.  He explained that the muscle that was cut during the operation is the same one used to flex the wrist so I needed something to keep it stable.  It's a huge brace!  I will need to wear it all the time, except when I shower of course.  This was a surprise because I did not require a wrist brace when I had the same surgery on my right elbow last year.  Stupid me didn't think to ask my doctor why this was the case.

Last year I was told at this stage not to lift anything heavier than a half cup of coffee.  I was given no such warning this year.  However, it may be because my doctor just forgot or assumed I remembered from my previous surgery.  Just in case, I plan to give him a call tomorrow and check.

Other minor notes:  Overall, I feel great.  No pain.  No numbness or tingling in my fingers.  Just sore/tight when I try to straighten it.  But I am taking it slow.  Elbow area still swollen.  Forearm still discolored from bruising, but getting better.  I am now allowed to soak my arm and put it under the shower stream.  Incision is itchy at times.

2 comments:

  1. No brace. Told at 2 weeks I could lift/do anything I wanted. Still swollen and bruised. Still numb.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Week three and I’m still wearing a brace. No pain and I can flex my elbow almost normally. Still not driving because with one arm it’s dangerous - this is my biggest complaint. My hand is still numb and hopefully that will turn around. Getting some weird twitches now and then. Concerned that my right arm will hold out - it’s doing big time overtime. I’m not going to kid you this limits your life so be prepared to endure the recovery. Also, I’m trying not to use my left hand - not easy. I’ve learned to sleep on my side with the brace - this is good because it gives me more options. Overall everything is okay.

    ReplyDelete

Questions? I am not a doctor but this is my second time having ulnar nerve transposition surgery. I am happy to answer any questions you may have based on my experiences.